Sunday, July 30, 2006

Another blog on climate change

I've become quite enamored over the past year with the whole idea of blogging as a way of communicating with the world. I've been constantly impressed by how many people read blogs, and how blogs can stimulate debate and have an impact on the wider world. To that end, I've decided to give it a try.

About me. I’m an associate professor in the Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences at Texas A&M University. My research focuses on the science of climate change. I've also developed a keen interest in the policy side of the problem, and I've written a book about this topic ("The science and politics of global climate change: A guide to the debate).

This blog will focus on issues at the interface of science and politics of climate change. I hope this works!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the swamp. I have been a researcher, prof, lecturer, and scientific advisor on this subject for over 35 years. The question is, are you an AGW believer, or a skeptic, or do you have nuanced views? Your POV on this topic will certainly determine how we in the outside scientific and political world read and interpret your comments, scientific data and opinions on this blog. This is a worthwhile exercise, but there is great controversy in this (no news to you, but it is to Al Gore and Jim Hansen apparently), and it seems many have an agenda, policy or personal, on the topic, good luck.

Andrew Dessler said...

Thanks for your comment. I consider myself to have "mainstream" views on AGW. I agree for the most part with the IPCC working group I report. As a citizen, I believe in taking preemptive action to head off AGW because of the risks of catastrophic harms that could result if we do nothing.

Regards.

Anonymous said...

Ah, well then we know where you are coming from and it appears your mind may be a bit closed on the science then (you seem to think it's settled and time for policy action), thanks for your reply.

Anonymous said...

In (google) searching for your blog, Roger Pielke's announcement of your site came up. (has to do with the way google ranks sites, based on number of links to them)

I read your very funny note there. Worth repeating.

"I suspect that, one day, everyone will have their own blog and no one will read anyone else's!"

It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with "blog sharing" that allows blogs to talk to one another.

By the way, one of the things I dislike about some blogs is that the hosts act as "omniscient vultures" ready to swoop down on unsuspecting guests and pick them apart with giant beaks and claws until there is nothing left but sunbleached bones.

I hope yours will not be this way.